We are a people in the pursuit of making things with our hands & analog tools. Many of us enjoy it as a respite from our virtual worlds and digital displays. We shall share updates on our projects, craft resources, inspiration, & other news.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Defibrillatin'!

Oops. I forgot about this blog. In the meantime, I've moved back to L.A., land of everyday sunshine. I'm still crafting (and designing toys) though, and I'm on Tumblr, Instagram (as "domojun"), Ravelry (as "supacrafty"), Pinterest, Facebook, and a regular player on "Words with Friends" so who knows how I will keep this up.

But I've also collected a crop of crafty friends, so let's see if we can resuscitate this baby with a new League of Supercrafters! (-Sorry. I started going to NY Comic Con & am going to my first San Diego Comic Con this year, so yes, the slippery slope into cosplay has started.)

I've also since accelerated my ADD/addiction among crafting projects. I like to keep 3-5 projects going at once if I can. Today, I'll highlight various projects I've done since my last blog update:

My first and only completed quilt - dessert themed squares:

Dessert quilt, left side

I hand-sewed the whole front of this thing. I KNOW. It was a reaction to my sitting in front of the computer all day at Yahoo! back when I used to work there (and back when it was cooler than Google, if anyone remembers that). I put it away while I went to Toy Design school and then triumphantly finished it after I graduated...

I don't plan on doing that level of hand-sewing again, because frankly, it seems masochistic to me now. But I do love this quilt, and I plan on making more and to try other methods... preferably also leaning more on a sewing machine than that hand-stitched madness.

I also have been a huge fan of Twinkie Chan's food-inspired scarves. Last year, she finally compiled her patterns into a book, which I had been WAITING FOR since I saw her stuff at that first Maker Faire. I used to be primarily be a knitter, but her book has turned me into a crochet nutcase! I started with this cupcake hat.

Crocheted Cupcake

...which I later gave away as a X'mas gift.

I also made these handwarmers for friends:

Cupcake Fingerless Mittens

Strawberry Mittens done!

and finally made this popcorn scarf for myself. I like to wear it to the movies.

Completed Popcorn Scarf!

I also dabble in amigurumi, a Japanese term for crocheted/knitted animals/toys. I customized a few, like this monkey with a cupcake, as a gift for artist, Jon Burgerman:

Adding a twist

I also knitted tiny ones from Anna Hrachovec's "Teeny Tiny Mochmochi" book as X'mas gifts:

Yee haw, 'lil' reindeer!

Sometimes I'll dabble in a plush project. I'm a huge fan of "Adventure Time," and they were slow on releasing merch for it, so I made this LSP for my cousin's little daughter:

Ah mah GLOB

And I made myself a Jake doll from felt:

Ta dah!

I was also commissioned to do a custom plush, for Katie Cook. I sewed this one based on her adorable webcomic, Gronk, after I met her at my first visit to New York Comic Con & fell in love with her mini-watercolors. Here she is at San Diego Comic Con after she was handed the plush by my courier-friend, Emotion Eric, who also took this photo.

Together at last!

Oh my gosh, I guess I made a lot of stuff last year. You'll just have to browse my Flickr album.

As for 2012, I moved to L.A., and then knocked out two more scarves from Twinkie Chan's crochet book. First, I did the Buttered Toast scarf, which I felt would be easier to wear since it's mostly a neutral color tone.

Toasty Scarf!

Then I completed this Rocket Popsicle scarf, which was pretty easy, because it's mostly just repeated rows and swapping colors. At some point, I'd like to try a knitted version of this, because the ridges seem perfect for a ribbed knit, and also I found some sparkly soft yarn in the same color scheme.

Scarf #2 of the year completed

Also I made this "Robo-Egg" as a get-well gift,  for my friend & artist, Josh Ellingson based on his drawing. (He's doing fine now.)

Robo-Egg

And recently, I finally treated myself to a new Singer machine. I tested it out with a quick reversible apron project, using this free online pattern.

I chose apples with orange gingham on one side,

Finished apron!

and Cowboys, Cowgirls, & ponies on the other!

Reversible apron

I definitely favor this cowboy theme side. I loved this project; it was easy and quick. Next time I'd leave out the D-rings; I don't think they work so well, but I bet a tie or just a sewn fixed length neck loop would be better. Anyway, I'd like to make more as a gifts! If you know me, don't be afraid to drop a big hint if you'd like one. Just know that it will fall into my long queue of craft projects and may take awhile.

Next time, I'll share the various projects I'm juggling at the moment, which include more crocheting, more knitting, a quilt, and.... a dress! -which I haven't attempted since my Powerpuff Girl costumes back in 1999 or so. Eek.

Okay, now your turn! Share what you're working on!


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home