Baby Blanket Success!
Finally, here are some additional pics of that knitted chevron baby blanket I had started in May for my friend's baby. I finished it just in time, too! I was on the plane to California, squished in the window seat, frantically knitting the last two color swatches. And when we landed, I turned on my phone and found out that my friend just had her baby, on Father's Day! What a sweet coincidence :)
Here are some pics of the blanket in progress - I tried to take a picture after each color swatch, but obviously couldn't take pics while I was on the plane. The good thing about doing this kind of project on the plane was that I was using circular needles, so I never lost my needles. During my return trip home I was using double-pointed needles on another project, and I dropped a needle at least three times.
Four colors! Here you may be able to see how there is a border where the color swatch changes - in this photo there is one between the 1st and 2nd swatch, and the 3rd and 4th swatch. If you follow the pattern exactly, normally all of these borders would appear on the same side of the blanket, but because I could not cast-on the same number of stitches the pattern called for, I didn't have the same number of rows of stitches for each color. So I ended up changing the color on opposite sides of the blanket, resulting in borders on alternating sides. Which looked fine!
And... ta-da! The finished blanket! It turned out to be bigger than I thought it would be. Partially because I added one more color. If I did just a few more colors, this blanket would be big enough for me to snuggle under! It's really soft and squishy - I'm definitely thinking about making some adult-sized versions in the future. It wasn't hard to make, either, just takes time!
I do recommend Blue Sky Alpaca yarns for the project. They're a little pricey, but they are so soft and come in a range of beautiful colors.